Sunday, September 13, 2009

Farmhouse, ho!

Got our sink! 16 gauge satin stainless undermount farmhouse apron double bowl.




It's gonna look AMAZING.
I'd found one on Overstock for 430 bucks and Nate said "nope!"
He got on eBay and found this one for $329. Free shipping, no tax; these things can retail for 1,200 - 2,000 dollars. My husband's awesome.

I'd really wanted a farmhouse sink, I'd really wanted it to be an undermount, and the stainless thing is pretty cool since it keeps it cottage-y and modern all at once. Plus, no danger of cracking like there is in a porcelain sink.

Saw a word the other day that I loved: "retropolitan."

Exactly what we're going for.

In other kitchen news, Ikea's blueprints for our kitchen are pretty much perfect and I love what they came up with for our island. It's tough as hell to find time to write lately, but I'll see if I can convince Nate to update with some of the blueprint pics.


Demo's done! Kinda. We're leaving the small bathroom off the master intact for now - we'll finish that in the last 3 or 4 weeks of renovation. As far as my big beautiful bathroom goes: the cement floor is gone and Jeff is going to frame up that wall soon. We're about to buy a soaking tub and a vanity to go in there, and we've looked at tile and come up with a color scheme for the whole thing. White tile floor with large squares and small grout lines, two black tile borders - one that's wide near the edges of the room and a thin one another foot in. I had it on the brain during a planning period at school and made a really rudimentary drawing in MS Paint just to help me visualize:



I'm thinking wallpaper could go above that beadboard - I want really masculine elements, like the floor pattern and the color scheme, that are softened with some curvier patterns and some feminine accents. Maybe a chandelier above the tub, some blush pink accessories. Like a woman took over a 20's british gentlemen's club.

There's one pattern I really love, and two color schemes I'm deciding between:



and:




Which would look better?



Oh, and after I told our contractor the ideas I had for the bathroom, he said, "so where does the TV go?"
And I laughed at that, and then he said, "seriously. If you want to spend lots of time relaxing in there, check around for sales on a small LCD. I'll run the wiring in there, it's no big deal and no big cost. Stick it in the wall, you'll love it."

So, y'know. Trying not to feel ridiculous about it, but I'm definitely entertaining visions now of watching TCM from my deep, deep tub.

The last thing I had to mention is an amazing website that's both a blessing and a curse if you're into interior design:
DecorPad.

If you select "photos" from that drop menu for the search function at the top of the page and type in ANYTHING IN THE WORLD, this site will come back with a million photos of gorgeous rooms that provide nearly exhausting amounts of inspiration and ideas.



Love that chandelier.



Great mirror and sconces.

Two beautiful console vanities:




Not exactly a ton of storage provided there, but we could do some tower cabinets on the opposite wall to take care of that.

Think that site's addicting much?

Wait'll you see my inspiration pics for living rooms and bedrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment